1) FULFILLING YOUR CIVIC DUTIES
• Primaries are June 23rd - get your Absentee Ballot TODAY! You can get info and download the absentee ballot application here, then return it electronically by attaching it to an email and sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or print it out and fax it to (516) 571-2058, or mail it to: Nassau County Board of Elections, 240 Old Country Road, 5th Floor, P.O. Box 9002, Mineola, NY 11501. You may also call (516) 571-8683 and request your absentee ballot over the phone! There's also early voting from June 13, 2020 to June 21, 2020 at the Gayle Community Center, 53 Orchard Street, Roslyn Heights. Anyone who is not able to fill out/send in their own absentee ballot application, please contact Cantor Eric (email@example.com) ASAP and he will put you in touch with a congregant who will assist you with this process!
2) SAFE VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES - make a difference, from home!
• The UJA has a volunteer match website for Covid-safe projects for all ages, including helping supply those on the medical frontlines.
• The Libertas Center for Human Rights is a center based at Elmhurst Hospital that supports victims of torture and human rights violations in NYC. Click here to donate to support their clients' basic needs at this time.
• Helmets for Heroes was started by friends of our member, Dr. Rikki Lane. They are researching a special kind of protective helmet that Rikki saw doctors in Italy wearing as part of their PPE. Click here to support their efforts!
3) PURSUING JUSTICE
•Join JFREJ/Never Again Action’s Let My People Go Campaign. Passover may be over, but the quest for freedom remains startlingly real for many of our most vulnerable neighbors.
•Save the Dates! Upcoming Bend The Arc programs:
-May Community Meeting
WHEN: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 7:00PM-8:30PM EST
-Rise as One to Thrive as Many: 2-part training on racism, antisemitism, and white nationalism
WHEN: Sunday, June 7, 4-5:30PM (Part 1) and Monday, June 8, 7-8:30PM (Part 2)
-June Community Meeting
WHEN: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 7:00PM-8:30PM EST
4) LOCAL FOOD INSECURITY
• Front Line Foods is now in Nassau County! Support our local restaurants that have been impacted by shelter-in-place measures, while helping them feed healthcare workers on the frontlines of the pandemic. Donate here!
• Leket, Israel's national food bank, is also helping those hardest hit by the covid-19 pandemic. Click here to find out how you can help.
• Sid Jacobson JCC Bank Buddy Curbside Food Donations:
Shop in your pantry for our most needed items to donate to those in need for packaged meals:
· Peanut Butter
· Canned Tuna, Sardines, and Salmon
· Shelf-Stable Milk
Bring your donations to our Community Needs Bank for curbside and contact-free drop off:
Sid Jacobson JCC’s Community Needs Bank
200 Forest Drive, Suite 11
• Our Lady of Fatima is still in serious need of additional donations, especially rice, tuna, peanut butter, jelly, and corn. Cooking oil, canned fruit and vegetables are also needed. There is a bin outside the OLOF office at 10 Cottonwood that Sister Kathy will check periodically (even on the weekends) so feel free to drop things there. If it rains the bin will be moved to the carport. They will also accept deliveries from Amazon Prime:
ATTN Sister Kathy Sommerville
Our Lady of Fatima Church
10 Cottonwood Road
Port Washington, NY 11050
When you drop off food to OLOF, The Gan Shalom Mitzvah Committee asks that you send them a photo (at firstname.lastname@example.org) so they can make up a board of our congregation helping others, to post after this is all done. Those of you who are working as first responders, healthcare workers, volunteering to help others, or working as essential workers, please also consider sending a photo of yourselves wearing your protective gear so they can include it in the board.
• You can also donate money directly to the OLOF food pantry, as well as to local Manorhaven residents impacted by school and work closures, by using the following steps:
l. Go to faithdirect.net and click on Give Now
2. On the new screen, click on Give Today, then enter NY303 for the church code and click Give Now
3. On the next screen, hit Make a One Time Gift Now (in blue box)
4. On the next screen, choose Neighbor Helping Neighbor
OLOF is also looking at helping out Manorhaven residents whose jobs have been affected by COVID-19 pay their rent and bills.
If you would like to mail a check please send it to:
Our Lady of Fatima Outreach
ATTN: Sister Kathy Sommerville
10 Cottonwood Road
Port Washington, NY 11050
In the memo portion of the check please note if you want the funds to go to the food pantry or to pay bills for out of work Manorhaven residents.
• You can also drop off toiletries at RSNS between 9:00am-3:00pm, Monday-Friday. Mauricio is at the building to accept your items.