We warmly and enthusiastically invite you to join RSNS in worship and celebration and welcome the involvement of all prospective and current members. There is a place for you in our congregation, whether your background is traditional or secular, whether you are a Jew by choice or come from a long line of rabbis. We are an inclusive community, welcoming families, single members, interfaith couples, and non-traditional families.
If you are interested in becoming a member of RSNS, please give us a call at (516) 627-6274, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by in person. Download a membership application.
1. What is Reconstructionist Judaism? The newest and fourth movement in American Jewish denominational life, Reconstructionist Judaism combines a deep commitment to Jewish tradition with an openness to innovation and creativity in order to enable us to live full Jewish lives in the contemporary world.
2. When are services held? Services are held each Friday night at 8:00 p.m. (Family Services are usually held one Friday of each month at 7:30 p.m.) Shabbat morning services and services for the Festivals begin at 9:45 a.m. A monthly calendar provides additional dates and times for special services (including Bagels on the Bima for young children and their families and B’Yahad a learners service for school age children with their parents).
Children are taught to love and honor the language of our tradition as they learn the alef-bet. Through song, prayer and stories they deepen their knowledge of Hebrew. In addition to basic vocabulary, children learn both the Friday night and Shabbat morning liturgies, troupe, as well as selected holiday prayers.
5. When does the Synagogue School meet?Kindergarten & first grade – Thursdays, 4:15-6:15 p.m. (Non-members welcome)
2 - 6th graders (bet-vav) – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:15-6:15 p.m.
Tuesday/Shabbat option involving family participation available for 2nd - 6th grade
7th (kadima) – Tuesday, 6:30-8:00 p.m, including once a month with parents
8th -12th graders currently meet on various Sundays at noon
Call the synagogue for details on all our programs.
6. How can I get information about the Nursery School, Gan Shalom? Please call our Nursery School Director, Laura Reich at 627-0257, she will be happy to give you information. If she is not in her office, leave a message. She will get back to you as soon as possible.
8. How can I get more information? For general information please contact Sylvia Jacobs at the synagogue. For information about Synagogue School contact Rabbi Jodie Siff. If you want specific information on Reconstructionism please make an appointment to meet with Rabbi Lee Friedlander.
We offer many ways in which to give to RSNS, please contact Sylvia Jacobs at (516) 627-6274 for more information.